Saturday, January 12, 2013

Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner Review

     I've wanted to do this product review for a while now, and I'm finally getting around to it! I bought Shea Moisture's Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner back in November, and it has quickly become a staple in my everyday hair care regimen. This conditioner can be used as a deep conditioner, a leave-in conditioner, and as a styling agent. I use it as a leave-in conditioner on wash day, and as a moisturizer on my twist out and braid out styles.
100% Organic and only $10!
    What I love about the Shea Moisture line is that it is dedicated to making 100% organic products. I had absolutely no problems reading and understanding the list of ingredients in this conditioner-- the three main components are Shea butter, argan oil, and sea kelp. The Shea butter is for moisture and repairing damaged hair and scalp, argan oil builds elasticity and strengthens the hair, and the sea kelp detoxifies the hair of impurities and residue. I have been using this product  for a little over two months, and I definitely notice a difference in my hair. It is softer, stays moisturized for longer, and it feels stronger. Because I wear my hair out often, the creamy consistency is perfect for protecting my fragile 4c strands. Now that my hair is in Marley twists, I do not apply it directly to my hair using my hands; instead I've diluted the conditioner with water and I just spritz it in my hair every morning and every night, followed by herbal oil to seal in the moisture. I like using the mixture of water and conditioner because it automatically makes my hair softer and more manageable, and I will probably continue to use this "hair milk" concoction after I take my twists down. I use a quarter sized amount in a spray bottle which I fill with water and then shake vigorously until the conditioner is diluted.
My twists are holding up nicely!!
      I honestly think that this product is perfection in a bottle. Seriously, this conditioner for dry and damaged hair has brought my strands back to life. Before I started using it my hair was dry and brittle, now it's moisturized and resilient. It is also sulfate free, paraben free, and color-safe. Plus it smells really nice-- it is a pleasant mixture of earthy and herbal scents. I can also detect the notes of sea kelp. For some, the scent could be a deal-breaker but that totally depends on your personal preference. I will add, however, that this may not be the best product to set styles with, merely because it more than likely will not supply enough hold and your twist outs will not be as defined as they would with a butter or creme. However, because I use this product as a leave-in only, I will continue to buy it because it's completely organic and it only costs $9.99 at Target for a 12 ounce container which lasts me about a month and a half. I'm not looking for the next best thing in the conditioner area because I'm convinced that the Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner is the absolute best for my 4c hair, and I will use it on my hair for a long time to come. I really hope they don't discontinue it or change the formula. I may buy it in bulk just in case!

The natural hair product junkie,
AphroKiKi

3 comments:

  1. Thank u so much for this review. Its crazy because I was just at the beauty supply store and I saw this product on the shelf. And also last night when I was in target. I was hesitant to buy it because I don't know enough about it to want to put it in my hair and wanted to do some research. I love shea butter :).. ill give it a shot :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, you're so welcome and thank you for reading! I hope it works out great for you. I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  2. I had this conditioner in my hand at Target just 2 days ago. I've been looking for a heavier conditioner for my hair and was contemplating this one. I didn't buy but I will eventually b/c I want to try it out in my leave-in concotion(my revised Kimmaytube leave in). I have several SheaMoisture products(Raw Shea Shampoo,Hibiscus Curl and Style Milk, Smoothie, Hibiscus Curl and Shine Moisture Mist, Yucca and Baobab Volumizing Conditioner) These products are great. The Yucca Volumizing Condish was the only thing that helped me detangle my daughter's transitioning hair. Great review...keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete